Offering SSL certificates is a sure way to grow your margin, spice up your product line and make a positive dent in the web security space. But where do you start? Unfortunately, it’s not as straightforward as marketing domains. It requires preparation, patience and practice. The extra layer of complexity combined with numerous options causes more head scratches than “aha!” moments. But once you lay down the foundation of SSL marketing, it’s all uphill from there.
Whether you are setting up your SSL business for the first time, or you’re a veteran in the web security space, here are a few quick tips to help get you started:

opensrs_awarenessEducation is key

It all starts with education. Explaining how the process works and the ins and outs of SSL certificates will help your customers make informed decisions when the time is right. It’s also best to keep things light, simple and digestible. No one has time to read a 5-pager on the why the address bar is green (it means the website is secure if you don’t already know). The importance of web security should also be emphasized. Explain how the lack of encryption can increase the chances of hacks, identity thefts, etc. Building trust with your customers is key. Become a source for answers and not for confusion.

Download the “Web Security for Dummies” guide to get started!

 opensrs_awarenessOnly present what counts

SSL certificates come in all kinds of flavors. Providing a wide range of certificates may look impressive on paper, but sometimes less is more. It’s like walking into an ice cream shop and being overwhelmed by the endless options of vanilla. Horrible analogy, I know, but you get the idea. Try aligning certain brands and types of SSL certificates that best suit your business. Simplify your offering by filtering out irrelevant products. If you cater to mostly small businesses, who work with non-transactional websites, offering EV certificates would not be ideal. On the other hand, if you work with large enterprises that require robust website security, offering EV certificates would be best.

Learn more about the different types and brands of SSL certificates

 opensrs_awarenessThe power of upselling

Upselling is more than just increasing your customers spend. It’s about providing suggestions and solutions that may not have been considered. All it takes is a combination of the right approach, and timing. Slapping a gradient starburst that says “Add an SSL to your order” is not upselling. Giving your customers the option to add an SSL certificate at the end of their domain order is. Simply review your current process and identify all the opportunities to upsell. Be sure to make it subtle, sincere and available. You will be surprised how effective it can be.

 opensrs_awarenessContributing to the bigger picture

Today, 3% of websites are encrypted which leaves 97% in the dark. That’s a lot of “unsafe” websites lurking around. With these staggering numbers, it’s important to think about the bigger picture when offering SSL. Even tech giants are jumping onboard to contribute to a safer Internet. In 2014, Google announced websites with SSL certificates will receive a search boost. Also, Google Chrome (Chrome 56) will start flagging “unsafe” sites. Non-HTTPS websites will be indicated with a “Not secure” warning label. In other words, it might be a good time to jump on the SSL train. These changes are a big deal as it influenced change and generates awareness around the importance of encryption. Whether you’re a tech giant or a small shop, every effort counts. Together, we can move the needle and make positive changes to the Internet. Imagine that.