This week the total number of .nl domain names in existence hit the four million mark for the first time, according to SIDN, the .nl Registry.
That puts .nl in fourth place in terms of ccTLDs for total registrations behind .de, .uk and .cn. Curiously, .nl actually leads all ccTLDs when you look at total registrations compared to the population of the country. In the case of .nl, there is one .nl domain for every four people in the Netherlands.
If you aren’t selling .nl domains, perhaps some of the stats around .nl domains will get you thinking about it:
- Since the .nl domain was created, a total of about 5.1 million unique domain names have been registered. Of these, roughly 1.1 million are no longer registered leaving just over 4 million .nl domains.
- Within the Netherlands, .nl has a 72% share of the domain name market. Next comes .com with 14%, then .eu with 8%.
- Over the last twelve months, the .nl domain has grown by almost 13%.
- The use of domain names to create personalized e-mail addresses increased by 25%.
- In the Netherlands, 38 people in every 100 have broadband internet access – more than anywhere else in the world.
- The average .nl domain name is 13 characters long, but the most common length is 11 characters.
OpenSRS is .nl accredited and we recently rewrote our connection to the .nl registry to take advantage of the new EPP interface.
For resellers who are .nl accredited themselves, you may not know that our OpenSRS Registrar Service platform offers a hosted solution to manage .nl domains using your existing accreditation. Of course, OpenSRS Domain Service offers an easy way to manage .nl domains for those who aren’t accredited.
.nl domains are priced at $8USD/domain year and anyone can register a .nl domain, regardless of where they live.